Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Two Things

Am I the only person who gets my six year old into bed by 8:00?

All the kids in my neighborhood (who have to be at public school at 8:30 in the morning) stay out playing until 8:00 or later, that includes other six year olds. Some don't get home till 9:30 from wherever they were staying after school.

If they have to leave for school at 8:00 then they must at least get up by 7:30 (I am assuming they don't eat a breakfast bar in the car on the way to school). Don't six year olds need more sleep than that?

Z normally gets up around 7:00 and she starts getting ready for bed between 7:30 and 8:00, though she reads in her bed for a hour or more sometimes.

Tonight I was feeling guilty because after dinner she practiced her piano for half an hour and then she would have to get ready for bed. But through our windows I could hear some of the other girls in the neighborhood outside playing. I talked to Pere about it and we thought about maybe pushing her bedtime later on a permanent basis so she could play late with the other kids. Unlike them she can sleep in if she needs to.

When she was done with her piano lesson she asked if her Pere would play this piano game where one person asks a "musical" questions and the other person plays a musical answer.

I told her that if she wanted to she could go outside and play with the kids instead. She went over to the window and looked out and then said "No thank you. Can I play the question and answer game instead?"

*grin* So I guess I was feeling guilty for nothing.

Although she did spend 4 hours today playing at the park with her friends so I understand if she preferred making music with her Pere.

6 comments:

Jaime said...

You are NOT the only one! K's bedtime is also 8. She's really good about it, too. When she sees 7:59 on the clock, she runs up to bed :-) That doesn't mean she sleeps at 8 though! She usually stays up reading until about 9:30. At least she is resting, right? She wakes up between 6:45 and 7:15 usually. I have to get her up at 6:45 on the two days we do school, but I am comforted that she only sleeps 20-30 minutes more on off days.

sarah said...

Well now I feel dreadful! Kitty's bedtime is 7.30pm, and will continue to be so even when she turns 8 soon. Sometimes she will actually end up in bed before 7.30, because we start our night time routine at 7pm.

It seems every other child is our neighborhood goes to bed at about 10pm! And they are schoolkids too. I wonder how tired they get in class?

However, she is allowed to read until 8.30pm (sometimes even later), and then she goes to sleep.

Once a week she does stay up late to watch tv shows, and sometimes we go out until late as well.

She generally wakes at 7am.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Well even O is in bed by 9-9:30,while I know many kids who go to school don't go to bed until 11 at his age. If O doesn't get a good 9+ hours of sleep he is a total grouch,I can only imagine those kids in PS that do that on a daily basis.

Sucero Family said...

I've been having lots of those moments of needless parental guilt. And, as Z did for you, HS always puts my mind back where needs to be.
Paul

Anonymous said...

V's bedtime has been creeping later and later, but we try for between 8 and 8:30. To be clear -- bedtime is time that she is in bed with the lights out, going to sleep. We tend to have a very long story time together, because we are really enjoying it! (Occasionally she will ask to draw or read by herself instead of reading together.)
Also, our girls share a room, so we keep V. up at least 20 minutes later than little V's lights out so that they don't chat so much and keep each other up.
And yes, we are pretty unusual among our friends who have schoolage kids. Though a couple of my friends who have very very bright young girls are weird like us in having very regular, earlier bedtimes.

Forte said...

Grace's bedtime is indeed 8, but she doesn't go to sleep then;) She often ends up talking to us for at least a half an hour or so, then a chapter of the latest book. I agree that she is still resting if she's in bed;)
Forte