Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Books

I wanted to share Z's favorite books from her baby, toddler, and 2's ad 3's. While she has always taken books to bed with her to "read" back in those days I was the one reading to her. These books are the ones that I read over and over every day. There were some other great ones that I can remember that we checked out from the library but these are the ones that I still own. I still can't bear to part with some of those board books.

I would like to thank my friend Craig for giving Z this book.


These were very favorite board books. We read Good Night Moon to her everynight and it was the first book she memorized. I remember her little voice saying "Good Night Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown pictures by Clement Hurd"


The Maisy books were her next favorites. She still has the Maisy doll she used to sleep with. Of course she loved Madeline too.

These were her favorite of the Dr Seuss books. We had them all.


These two books are gorgeously illustrated. Trina Shart Hyman did the Red Ridinghood. She is my favorite illustrator along with Shirley Hughes. And the Jan Brett illustrated version was Z's favorite of The Three Bears.


I cannot count how many times I read these books. Luckily I loved them too.


Two new classics and a Golden Book


I prefer Frog and Toad to Little Bear - they are, IMO, very philosophical.

I read the Beatrix Potter stories to her everyday for awhile. But they can be enjoyed at so many levels I am sure I could read them again to her now and she would still enjoy them just as much. I remember she used to get worried everytime that Peter would be made into a pie by mrs. MacGregor. And she loved the Frog with "no teeth! no teeth!", and the Tale of Tom Kitten.

We love everything by Shirley Hughes - especially the Alfie books. We had an Alfie treasury from the library for awhile that had wonderful stories.


Z used to be called Poetry when I first started writing on the web about her. She LOVED these books and read them everyday, many times a day, for awhile. She had many of the poems memorized when she was two.


Peter Pan is my favorite children's book of all time. And the original Winnie-the-Pooh (nevermind that Disney drek) are wonderful, clever, and timeless.

These books are very old-fashioned and very sweet. They were just perfect for gentle days or for days that needed gentleness.

5 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

What a darling photo! Great post too!

I was concerned that there was something wrong with me because I can’t part with Ami’s favorites. I just went through this during spring-cleaning last week. I imagine her reading Brown Bear Brown Bear to her own children. I also think Frog and Toad are philosophical.

If you don’t mind, I might do a similar post. We have some lovely storybooks that were Ami’s favorites.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Z was an adorable baby,she's all eyes,so beautiful!

It's been so long since O was a toddler lol,I do remember he liked Frog and Toad books and anything Dr.Seuss.

Sucero Family said...

Thanks for sharing! Some of those are our favorites too. We just started on Frog and Toad and we all love them and find them very philosophical. And I can't pass up a chance to agree with someone about Disney's verison of Pooh - pooh I say!
HA

Jaime said...

Great post! Love that picture with Brown Bear Brown Bear - that was the first book K read when she was 2 :-) We have given away all of our board books, but I can't part with that one.

We loved Frog and Toad, too. Did you know there was a musical? WE love the soundtrack. It's called A Year with Frog and Toad. Highly recommended. Cookies is my favorite song - we sing it all the time around here ;-)

Anonymous said...

My apologies that it took so long to read this post. You know I love this stuff but I wanted to be able to sit down and really enjoy it. No time for that lately. Everything seems so rushed.

First, the picture of Z with Brown Bear Brown Bear is adorable, more than adorable. Her baby pictures must tear you up. I don't think I have one photo of Citcat that even comes close to that cute. You should send it to Eric Carle or better yet Bill Martin, poor guy never gets credit for writing the book. She was a peanut!

As a monkey lover, Citcat has both versions of Hand Hand Finger Thumb. She much prefers the longer version. She also loves Wocket in My Pocket. I relegated it to a daddy book because it really annoys me. We love So Many Bunnies as well.

I agree with you about Frog and Toad being more philosophical and better than Little Bear.

I could read Beatrix Potter again and again. I have read some of them many times. Others only once. Some of the books are down right weird. Ginger & Pickles comes to mind.

You are the second person who has reminded me of Shirley Hughes this week. After this, I am going to order them from the library. We had them out once but I think it was too soon for Citcat. Also, we tried Milly Molly Mandy but perhaps too soon. I had a hard time saying Milly Molly Mandy each and every time.

I've been thinking about which RSL Child's Garden of Verses to buy, perhaps the one you have.

What is the author and title of the books beside Milly Molly Mandy?

Well, the tea is finished and the end of my quiet time is coming down the stairs. Great post.