Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Either Or

Sometimes I feel like we are wasting time and not getting to all the cool things we could be studying.

Othe times I feel like we are wasting time studying all those cool things when we could be at a park on a nature walk, or visiting an art museum or spending the day at the beach collecting sea glass and shells.

Somedays I want to throw my carefully made plans out the window and just spend the day on our bikes, stopping only for sustenance and maybe a nap.

Other days I want to let Z go on playing her made up games in her room for hours and hours, and maybe on those days I would get some writing done.

Today I wanted to help Z write a short book and illustrate it with pictures from Printshop and embellish it with borders and special fonts. But today life got in the way and instead I had to go shopping at three different stores (the inconvenience of trying to eat organic).

I am looking forward to summer coming. But I think I shant wait that long. Maybe spring shall be our time of year to frolic. It gets so hot here in the summer anyway. Perhaps summer is the best time to stay indoors and study. But Spring, on those happy days when the sun and the breeze come together to make the outdoors to inviting, then Z shall be allowed to play barefoot in the gardens and dig in the dirt and pick up bugs and name them and bring them home. And on days where Spring showers make the warmth of home the coziest place to be, well on those days I will help her write a book or have a tea party with my dear Princess Z and forget about plans and lessons and remember play.

2 comments:

sarah said...

I feel just the same as you most of the time! And I agree, Spring is a wonderful season for being out of doors enjoying the warm, mild weather.

The only thing I would add is that with us I try not to make our school breaks too long, or else it is hard getting back into the routine of lessons. We're currently in the middle of a two week break and I'm not looking forward to next Monday at the school table!

C's Learning Treasures said...

I used to feel like that alot more when O was younger.I many times decided to allow him to keep on doing his own thing instead of academic work, if I thought what he was doing was more productive. I guess that's another great thing about homescholing,we really can choose whatever feels right and not have to worry about strict schedules:)