Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Lists

Lists really work well for me and through me they benefit Z as well.

I know pretty much exactly what we are going to work on each day for homeschooling. I know pretty well what order we are going to do the different subjects in. I have a list.

I know which resources we are going to use on different days. For example, for science we do Planet Patrol and an experiment on Monday, she works in her Theme book on Tuesday, Thursday is Brainpop ( I also have a list for that) and Friday we read science books.

Now of course it doesn't always work out that way and I am really flexible on that. Yesterday we read our science library book instead of doing her theme book.

Having that list keeps me from being lazy and getting off track. My lists help me make sure that we actually get to art and geography. I helps me do the hands-on experiments instead of just learning everything through books.

My lists help me actually use some of the wonderful resources that I spent hours researching.

But my lists are nothing more than "what could be." If something better or more interesting comes up my lists don't keep me from doing them.

Besides my predeliction for list making I really love finding just the right educational resources and designing curriculum tailored to Z's interests, strengths and weaknesses. All this is part of the reason why unschooling is not a comfortable option for us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I'm just the same!

Anonymous said...

I also love lists,in fact I can't even start my day without writing my daily plan,I guess I'm a little OCD:0

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

My homeschooling form that I made is like a list. It has so many things on it is a bit silly but I want to, for example, count her educational project as writing and science.

Anonymous said...

DD and I have come up with a system of checklists. We , together, think of what she will do that day and write it in list form. She then checks each thing off as she does it! It is amazing how motivated she is to get though things now! LOL
Forte