Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Keepsakes

Tonight instead of reading to Z from Enchanted Castle we looked at the things in her room and talked about them.

On her bookshelf:

"See that? That Marsupilami? Do you remember where you got that?"

"Yes, M, our student from Belgium."

"That grasshopper made out of palm fronds?"

"Hawaii! What about that fan and parasol?"

"Your Grandmere brought you those from Spain. See that box with the yellow flowers on it, your Tante Juliet made that for you.

Then the things stuck to her wall on the corkboard and keepsake board:

"Remember where you got that fan?"

"Paris!"

"Look here is your name tag from the Gathering and here is your name tag when you worked at my bookstore."

"Tell me about the Playbills"

"Well Les Miserables was in San Francisco and we saw Wicked when you were 4 1/2. It was my birthday present. And here is your medal from karate and your honorable mention from your piano competition. And here is a picture of you with your librarian and here is one with the director from your old preschool..."

I went on for a little while describe more of her artifacts. They are really just a small percentage of the mementos I have saved for her. I really love them. I know they mean so much more to me than they do Z. But she did really enjoy me telling her the stories behind all the things in her room.

:)

3 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

What a sweet bed time hour.

Ami loves stories, family stories, of my our childhoods.

Family stories can be very powerful.

C's Learning Treasures said...

What a wonderful idea!I need to do that with O,I might go through his keepsake box with him today:)

Sucero Family said...

That sounds like a really nice time. HS loves to hear stories about the things around her over and over and over again. I should get her a cork board...