Thursday, April 26, 2007

Trinity College, London

So most of the day I have been researching Trinity College in London. Z's voice teacher taught Opera at the Trinity College of Music and today she brought up the idea of her teaching Z the same information she taught at that school and then having Z "sit the exams" with the eventual outcome of Z earning what would be the equivalent of a Bachelors degree in music. The Trinity College exams joined with the Guildhall in England and is now the standard for musical exams in that country. Their exams are also used in most British speaking countries - Australia, Canada, India, etc.

There are other places in the United State that teach to these exams and, from the looks of it, at lot of graduates teaching in the U.S..

There is so much more I want to know. Tomorrow I am going to call some local colleges and talk to someone in the music department and see what they think of this program.

It might be cool if Z could earn what would be considered a BA in music by the time she is eighteen. Then maybe she can teach music to help put herself through medical school. *grin*

I was given a copy of four of the songs used in the syallabus and they are very Waldorfy! One was called EarthFolk, another was about a boy who ran away to the forest with the gypsies and the lyrics of another were from Christina Rossetti's poem Who Has Seen the Wind. They are ever so much better than that Disney drek!

so... I dunno. I was very surprised to have this idea spring on me and I don't know what to think.

5 comments:

sarah said...

It sounds great, and such a wonderful opportunity for Z. Do you think she has the long-term passion for music to see this through? It would be such a special degree to have, wouldn't it? I like the careful research you're putting into it.

Cher Mere said...

Thanks for chiming in on this Patience

More than anything else I could see Z having a career in music. Mostly I see her composing and singing.

This morning she sang the most amazing song. I think it was called "Imagination: It will come to you."
The song went on and on for about 40 minutes and much of it was better than anything I could write and she made it up on the fly and she is six!

But I am definitely not sure that Trinity College is the right path. We have a lot of good music opportunities here in Los Angeles.

I thought of you when I saw the songs in the first book. I think you would really love them.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I think that sounds neat.

Sucero Family said...

Well, I can't resist the temptation to promote my favorite little instrument ever so here goes: Trinity College is home to none other than the first(99% sure) mandolin professor (and a female at that!) in the UK. I say send her. I understand the "career in music" longings you have. I have dreams of HS having one. Z's teacher must be very impressed by her talent. Congrats to her from us.
PS

Sucero Family said...

I meant at Trinity College, not the UK. Sorry.