Friday, February 16, 2007

my Z

I usually don't think of Z as being her age, which is six now. I also don't really think of her as being gifted. I just think of her as being "my Z" - she seems "normal" to me.

But sometimes she does something to remind me that she is "only five" (actually six now) and I think she is so cute at that moment. I think when I can see her that way I am also remembering myself and how I felt at that age and it was so magical and life seemed so different than I know it to be now.

And sometimes I am reminded that she is gifted and to some extent profoundly so.

(I have to qualify this by acknowledging that many of my friends reading this blog have children who are more advanced than Z so the things that amaze me might not seem to amazing to them. ) But recently Z seems so darn smart! I am very happy with what she is doing in math and very proud of her knowledge base in science. I am sometimes just struck with wonderment about how well she plays the piano. Her sense of humor seems especially advanced these days and often I feel like I am talking to a preteen rather than a girl who would be in kindergarten.

Most of the times though she is "just Z" to me.

2 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

To be amazed by your child is one of the great joys in life. Thanks for writing this.

Jaime said...

Boy, do I understand how you feel :-)