Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Break

I wasn't sure about posting this yet but it is on my mind and I want to share it with my friends.


Late last week, after the photo shoot, Z told me that she wants to take a break from professional acting.

When I asked her why she said that she just wants her regular life back. She said she really doesn't want to miss any of her regular classes. She also says she wants more time to play (she mentioned that sometimes she misses playdates) and to do her "regular stuff."

At that point I figured that maybe she just didn't like the photo shoot so I said let's give it a couple weeks and see.

Well now it has been one week and she says that she still want to take a break. She says she wants a couple months off. When I asked her if she would rather just not do it at all anymore she was adamant that she does want to go back to acting (but I am not sure.)

I am going to give it one or two more weeks and then I am going to talk to her agent about her taking a break. I am nervous about this because I think they are pretty happy with Z right now and I will be taking a potential money maker away. They recently sent her on a movie audition and then there was the Nickelodeon thing yesterday...

I feel a little less nervous than when I told her piano teacher I wanted Z to not practice so much and not to do the Bach compettion though, so um... I guess that is a good thing.

Anyway, Zoe could change her mind tomorrow so now is probably not the time you should respond with "Great! I think that child acting is horrible!" *grin*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think your agent would be supportive in being more selective with the projects too? If they really sense potential for big things, they would hardly want Z to burn out on print ads.

I think kids rarely say they are too busy when they are doing things they enjoy -- even when they plainly are too busy. So good for Z for recognizing that even though she loves acting she needs a break. It's a kind of self-awareness to nuture!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I admire your courage to consider all the options and write about it.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Sarah

Actually I think it is not a healthy industry to be in. I feel like i have to be in a constant protective state.

I am glad she came to want a break on her own terms because I was feeling that too. I am giving her time though to make sure that this is coming from her and what she really wants.

Cher Mere said...

Shaun

I think if/when we go back I will tell them that Z doesn't want to do print jobs anymore and I think they will be okay with that.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Mamita

I have been wanting to write about this for over a week now but I didn't want to keep going back and forth about it. I wanted to be more certain that this was what Z wanted.