Friday, February 23, 2007

Classes

I know I have mentioned before that Z takes a lot of classes. Certainly she doesn't spend as much time in a class as a traditionally schooled child does. She does spend 5 hours a 45 minutes of the school week in a class. Right now she is taking piano, science (taught by the kids), Shakespeare, gymnastics, Japanese and voice. In April she is going to try an engineering class taught with LEGOs.

I have tried talking her out of some of her classes (voice) and bribed her out of others (ballet). Yet I am always looking around for new classes for her to try. The thing is that I just want her to try them because they sound cool or interesting but then Z wants to continue them. And at this age I just want her to try different things and see how she likes them, so far she seems to like them all.

Z has tried gymnastics, group music lessons, soccer, drama, ballet/tap, karate, musical theatre, religious school, Shakespeare, Japanese, science, piano, voice, and most recently astronaut training. (I might be forgetting something.)

Out of those I think she has liked the gymnastics and acting (Shakespeare, etc) the best. I am pretty sure she live at the gymnasium if she could, or at least would love for her room to be outfitted with a trampoline and some bars, rings and beams. but she loves all her classes so much they were her main reason for wanting to take a break from acting.

I am happy for Z that we have all these opportunities in our area. There are many more out there that would be fun to try like Yoga and Circus Arts and an American Girl book club. But it is just as, if not more important, that Z have time just to hang about in her room and play.

This afternoon she was playing in her room and I came upon this scene:



I asked "Are you having a tea party with your dolls?"

She said, "No, the Indian died and we are all at his funeral."

(the Indian is brown figure in the center of the circle)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the opportunity to take unique classes is one of the best reasons to home school. I hope we are living in an area that offers more when Citcat is a little older. It must make you happy that the classes were more important than the acting.