Monday, February 26, 2007

History

This morning after teeth brushing I told Z we were going to start homeschooling. "History?" she asked excitedly. "No," I said "First we are going to do some yoga."

After yoga we got changed into normal clothes (jeans and a t-shirt for me) and Z asked "Are we going to do history now?!" "No," I said, "First we are going to do EPGY."

After EPGY she was like "History?!" again. I couldn't figure it out what that was about (not like I asked) so I went on with my normal plan. (You see how resistant I am to change?)

Finally after lunch it was time to do history and Z cried out "Can we read King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table?!"

Ahhhh, that is what she was so excited about...

I picked up where we had left off last week in the story of Balyn and Balan.

It is a pretty good book but at first I wasn't sure Z would get into it as it is written like this:

"For this cause," said Merlin. "No man shall handle this sword now, save only Launcelot, and Galahad his son. And that shall be when the knights of Logres seek for the Holy Grail... In the castle, also, you have a bed: but none shall lie in it without going mad, save Launcelot alone... But in the end Launcelot shall use this sword, and the bravest knight of Logres, the man he best loves in the world, shall fall beneath it. And that shall be Gawain... But soon thereafter shall come the last battle on the Plain of Camlann, and the darkness shall fall once more upon Logres."

And why does Merlin always speak in prophetic riddles... I mean c'mon!

But she is learning really useful words like Smote and Smitten and Smite, not to mention Alas.

And here I am having to explain what the Holy Grail is and what the Dolorous Stroke is and what the Last Supper was and who Joseph of Arimathea was.

But seriously it is fun to read and Z is obviously really enjoying it. As for it being history? Well I felt it was more like color commentary to go with our non-fiction studies, a story to hang all the images on, IYKWIM?

No comments: