Monday, July 24, 2006

stressed

I came home this evening from a late piano make-up class feeling pretty stressed.

Z had a bad lesson.

She did things like instead of playing a triad 2 times allegro and 3 times andante all in a row with no stops she would just play it allegro like 9 times... *sigh*

She was totally off.

Threre were some circumstances - she seems to have another cold (damn summer camp) and the class was from 6:30 to 7:30 tonight, which is kind of late for Z to be focusing.

She also barely practiced at all last week. Last week was summer camp, Shakespeare, agents, auditions and other things that seemed to keep practicing from happening.

Of course this bad practice session has to happen just after her teacher saw a competition with five year olds, some of whom were little prodigies. She told me again that Z could be doing that if I would just have her practice a hours everyday.

I told her again that I don't want Z to be a prodigy. Z doesn't want to either. I think Z would like to learn to play piano so she can write her own music, music that she would probably want to sing. (I am not a clairvoyant though, so I can't say for sure)

I know I need to have Z practice more. I knew that today. But when it was time to practice Z was in her room talking to herself, immersed in some fairy game and playing so nicely that I just couldn't bring myself to interrupt her.

And then later I let her go swimming because I knew she was really looking forward to it.

I try to consistently make the right decision in Z's life. There is such a mix between school work, performing arts practice (piano, acting, & singing), playing with friends, doing normal kids stuff (swimming, riding her bike, playing with LEGO's , watching t.v.) and having down time to relax and create and pretend - plus all the time spent with me doing my normal household errands, well is it any wonder that I am stressed?

I know she needs to practice piano more and now that she is not wasting almost five hours a day on summer camp I know we can get back on track.

I know auditioning might end up taking a lot of her time - but I can bring her homework with us to work on while she is waiting if I need to.

Really, thank God we homeschool. I would never be able to do all this if we didn't. I don't know how people are able to send their kids to school all day and still have time for playing and relaxing much less homework or enrichment classes. (They must be better planners than me.)

4 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Cher Mere at one time or another children will have an off day with their instrument regardless of how much they practice.

Ami's teacher is so different.

Sorry, it sounds like you had a rough day.

Cher Mere said...

What is Ami's teacher like?

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Sorry we are out of town.

There appears to be an absence of pressure. He has mentioned that his philosophy is for a child to feel the joy of playing and that drive will come from within the child with nurturing. He is not a Suzuki purist because any child capable of reading music gets a repertoire of note reading pieces in addition to their Suzuki. (Suzuki is a Japanese method.)

As an individual he has a good sense of humor. Maybe your teacher has these qualities as well. Maybe it is just a few items that cause doubt.

Mamita

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»