Saturday, July 08, 2006

so, um... didn't really rest

We left the house at 10:00 a.m. and got home at 9:00 p.m. Although it wasn't like we were hiking or doing anything too strenuous. We just watched basketball for six hours. This is our second year driving down to Long Beach to the Pyramid to see the Summer Pro League. Last year we saw the beginnings of Smush Parker and Andrew Bynum. This year it was Bynum again and a new guy from UCLA Jordan Farmer (his grandma sat next to me.)

Yeah, we are big Laker's fans.

Someday I will get into my whole rant about how sports and smarts are not mutually exclusive, but I'm too tired tonight.

It was a fun experience, although I am concerned that Z seems to want to be a Laker Girl, but hey, they are very good dancers, even if they are a _tad_ suggestive. *wink*


Ah, today was full and there are so many things I want to write about. One is how cool it is to meet people and talk to them, even for a short while.

Not only did we meet Farmar's grandma but also got into a conversation with an older black gentleman who just got back from Paris, he went there to go to the French Open. He asked us if Z was really reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (the book she brought to pass the 6 hours by) and we got to talking about traveling.

Then there was interesting talk about Jerry West (who was there) who is an old Laker who's body image is used for the NBA logo. There was a girlfriend of a fan there who didn't know who Jerry West was.

The guy sitting behind me was there to root for our opponents, the Memphis Grizzles (Jerry West is their General Manager) and the guys sitting next to him were Laker's fans. They were teaching him how to be a "cool and relaxed West Coast" fan. It was funny, but you probably had to be there.

I love going to live sporting events. The crowds are so energizing. We are all rooting and screaming and singing and stomping and clapping and chanting together. It is so fun (and very Pavlovian.)

I was never into team sports until I met Pere but since then we have gone to at least one, sometimes three live Laker's events every year. We also go to see the Dodgers too (another very special and very specific experience.)

I am glad Z is growing up being familiar with sports. I think she is going to have a lot of fun family memories to look back on. On the other hand I am worried that she might grow up to hate basketball because when basketball season comes around we pretty much watch every single game and she is expected to either watch with us or entertain herself. *wince*

But she did have a good time today. She didn't sit there and watch the whole six hours (neither did I) but she mostly paid attention and seemed to follow what was going on. It is cute to me how much she knows about basketball. I can remember when she was still in diapers chanting "De-fence! De-fence!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually believe there is a link between giftedness and sporting ability - at least I can say a lot of fabulous dancers are also intellectually gifted.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Sarah

I really think this too. Our family is a good example. Pere played water polo and did diving. I was never good at sports where balls came towards me at a fast speed *grin* because I didn't like to wear my glasses. But I excelled at karate and gymnastics type stuff.

Z too, was walking at 9 months and doing somersaults on the bed soon after. When she was 20 months she was put into the 3 year old class in her gymnastics, every other physical class she has tried like karate and dance she has been accelerated to be with other kids.

I know a lot of gifted kids who have had the same experiences with dance, gymnastics, riding, soccer, fences, etc

I am not trying to say that most superstars in basketball are gifted. I am just annoyed with how popular culture portrays this big divide between gifted and physically adept. Or gifted and popular. Or gifted and physically attractive.

You know what I mean?