Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"if only you'll _push_ her some"

That is what Z's piano teacher whispered to me today.

She told me that she would like to have Z start doing piano competitions and playing in more recitals. She said that Z has the talent and that she understands everything and that her dexterity is "getting better" and that she learns everything very quickly. Basically all the components are there except that Z needs to practice more.

I think she is right. Recently Z hasn't be practicing as much. I think the long holiday beginning this month threw us off.

Z's piano teacher also said that Z needs to _slow down_ and play more musically rather than quickly, which is Z's tendency.

And she said that the only other thing Z needs to work on is not interrupting her teacher. *grin* I wish I could teach her that. Believe me, I have been trying.

Sigh.

I am not happy with Z's gifted summer camp experience so far. This afternoon I asked her if she would like to drop out of it. *heh* It is probably my horrible cold that wants me to stay home in bed speaking, but she said that she made two new friends and that she wants to stay. Oh well, only 8 more days.

Z has voice tomorrow, then Japanese on Friday. In the fall we will probably start a second piano lesson. I feel like we aren't just homeschooling Z but that we are "home-performing arts-schooling" her.

Good thing she is 3- 5 years ahead in all her academic subjects. I am still trying to keep moving ahead with math and writing this summer. Reading takes care of itself really. Science and history come where they may, which is usually often. In fact the classes Z is taking in this summer camp are both science classes.

Maybe I should change our school title from Gray's Academy to Gray's Academy for the Performing Arts. *grin*

2 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

During the spring Ami was in a progam for HG and up children. The first week was great. I was ecstatic. As the weeks wore on the teachers came to me and said that Ami was functioning on a different level and has great social skills with the children. At the end of the program the director told me they would make an exception for her for the math club which was 2nd to 4th graders despite her being 5 if I am interested in the fall. The kids in the math club are very bright to gifted some more than others. I say this to encourage you to stick it out and see what comes of it. You might get a great teacher. Actually, your program is better than the one offered during the summer by the public school here . Ami is not old enough for the K/1 because she gets to go this fall besides they are studying Dr. Suess. Nothing against him, he gave tons of money to my alma mater but Ami would prefer something like a seminar on Lewis Caroll or Roald Dahl.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Actually Ami is a few months older than Z but we are dealing with the cutoff.