Friday, July 07, 2006

need a rest

I'm feeling very tired today. I think I need to rest this weekend. So do Pere and Z, since they are both fighting off colds.

But my husband does have one special event planned for us tomorrow. And we _have_ to see the new Pirate's movie sometime this weekend. And tonight we are having dinner at place that serves Southern Indian cuisine, *yum* I can't wait.

But first we need to stop by the sheet music store and look for some good songs for Z to take on auditions.

I want her to sing something that everyone knows but maybe they have mostly forgotten it. Like a song from their childhood that brings back sweet and happy memories. But _not_ something they heard a dozen other girls sing that day. Most people are recommending those same tired old songs again and again. Disney songs, songs from Annie and, these days, Wicked are too too popular.

Also, even though Z can sing lots of cool songs meant for adults to sing, I think she shouldn't at an audition. At least not as her first two songs. I think she should sing something appropriate for her age (so not Grow for Me from Little Shop of Horrors like she did at her talent show).

So far we have a couple songs picked out but we need to find the sheet music, and maybe we will find something new while we are looking around there.

As far as the whole professional performing thing goes, I wonder if Z is too much of a perfectionist to really make a go of it. She sometimes breaks down crying when she can't figure something out in piano. Once when she was supposed to do improv she stood in the middle of the circle of kids much older and much bigger and panicked and started crying. That was the second time she cried in that class. The first time was when she had to play a very complicated warming-up exercise and when it got to her turn she started thinking too hard about what to do instead of "improvising" and couldn't think of anything and felt bad and started crying.

She is so hard on herself. If she gets the idea that she might "mess up" and everyone will be looking at her, well, she gets very tense and sometimes has a brain freeze. (I know that feeling)

But most of the time she loves to perform and will get right up there and sing and dance and act in front of friends, family and strangers until we are begging her to stop. She has no problem with belting out Broadway tunes in the market or getting up and stage and singing and acting in front of a crowd.

So we will see. Que sera sera.

7 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Ami loves Johnny Depp but not sure she can take the intensity. She watched part of the first one last year when she was 4 but didn't want to see the entire movie. My spouse was going to show her the first one again since she wants to go to the second to see if she can tolerate it now.

Forte said...

Grace had lots of fun with the Harry Potter books and Movies up until POA. That is where we cut her off. DH will not let her see Pirates although she watched the first installment of LOTR while we were moving.

I have to agree about Z's audition material! Go with something very catchy and memorable, but little-known. I know this sounds strange, but are there any Cole Porter tunes she could carry off? Not "Let's Do it", but some of the others. I think it'd be adorable!
F

Cher Mere said...

Hey Mamita

I think everyone just has to follow their child's lead on this. I know lots of people with kids older than mine that wouldn't/couldn't sit through Harry Potter, or Pirates, or even 1 hour television shows.

I hope Ami likes the first movie when she sees it though. Only one of Z's friends is going to see the new Pirate's movie and she is on a six week vacation now.

Cher Mere said...

Hello Forte

Z has listened to all the Harry Potter books on tape and see all the movies that are out. She has only read the first three books though, she still hasn't made it through GoF. HP is one of the main pretend "worlds" she lives in.

Cole Porter! That is a good idea. We didn't make it to the sheet music store last night, so we will go this morning. I'll look for some.

Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Re: freezing and improvising. I've seen Violet there too -- a few months ago she was going to do a spontaneous performance, then stood there frozen, then finally got really pouty. When I talked to her about it she started to cry. I think in her case there is still such a distance between what she can imagine in her mind and what she can execute physically. I think that is just a (long) phase that you have to support them through as best you can.

Re: movies. Violet censors herself when it comes to anything scary or sad with movies. I am torn about letting her read Goblet of Fire. We kept the HP books from her for sooo long -- this is the kid who refuses to watch Snow White or Sleeping Beauty because the scary parts are too intense! -- but now she lives in HP world about 70% of her waking hours! She is rereading POA. When we have done narration with books that have death, she leaves it out unless I press her on it! We've done comics of some books too, and she will leave out any tragedy. Cartoonish violence, OK, but nothing sad. (When she was younger she wouldn't even say the word "sad." Only spell it!)

Re: other reading. Have you guys read Corrector Yui? Our local comics store recommended it, and Violet likes it.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

The length of a movie is not the issue it was that she became frightened. It is weird because some things don't bother her at all like Corpse Bride or Nightmare Before Christmas or Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.

Best Wishes with the music for Z.

Cher Mere said...

Oh Mamita

I wasn't saying that about Ami. I was just trying to say there are a lot of reasons for a person not to take their kid to see Pirates or Harry Potter and it made me thiink of an older brother of one of Z's friends who is like 9 or 10 but doesn't really watch t.v. or movies because he doesn't want to sit through them.

I don't know I that is such a bad thing - sometimes it worries me that Z can sit in front of the t.v. all day if you let her.

I used to be really good with horror. I started reading Stephen King when I was ten. But recently, I think it effects me a lot more. I am getting "soft" with age and I don't even want to see the kind of horror movies I would have loved as a teenager.