Friday, July 21, 2006

Last Day of Summer Camp

Yes!!!

But Z was sad to see it end today. She is worried that she might not get to see her little friend J again. She may be right. J is going to this or another camp for the whole summer because both her parents work fulltime. People are so busy today that it can be hard to get together.

Today was Z's musical production in her Extinct is Forever class. It was pretty cute. I was waiting outside with the other parents before the performance and talking to some that I hadn't met before. This one woman was telling another how her daughter wants to skip 1st and go right into 2nd next September. But the mom was really against that and basically likened a grade skip to child abuse and "stealing" her daughter's childhood.

How annoying!

I agree that skipping isn't for everyone but jeez... apparently she hasn't read Genius Denied. I would have been fine if she said "Skipping is not right for our family" or something like that. What really bothered me was her judgemental attitude. I certainly felt attacked given what Z is doing.


I know I am probably going to face a lot of negativity from parents who think that having a child "working" as an actor is stealing her childhood. And I understand their fears, I have them myself. I can only hope that people trust me enough to understand that I will always protect my child and teat my reasons for doing this are for her benefit not my own.

I have already had to deal with people judging me for Z taking Japanese or knowing math when she was four or learning to play the piano at 4 1/2. They can't imagine that a child would want to do those things. They can't imagine that a child would love to learn and demand to be taught at an accelerated pace.

And maybe they really can't see that a child would rather be performing - a child who loves to learn her lines, read her script, practice her delivery , perform for the director and act for an audience than many other things she could be doing. Maybe they can't fathom a child who would say "Mommy when I get home can I work on my script? I want to read it ten times! I love this play!"

I guess a lot of parents have messed up their children up very pubically in Hollywood and I would be judged because of them. But that is really ridiculous. It is like this woman I heard yesterday who said that she wouldn't buy a BMW because whenever she sees someone driving like a jerk on the freeeway they are in a BMW. Riiiight. That is logical thinking.

*sigh* I think I am just in a ranting type of mood today. Sorry!

8 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I have had to develop a thicker skin over the past couple of years due to what Ami is involved in but yours will have to be incredibly thick given Z’s passion due to mixed perceptions of child actors and their parents. The news makes sure we know the tragedies but Helen Hunt, Jodie Foster, Ron Howard and Shirley Temple Black all have done okay. Even some kids that disliked the business because it was no longer their dream turned out okay like Billy Mummy. I am sure there are numerous others that are doing fine as adults.

The woman who was ranting about skipping and child abuse may have a child who is average gifted. She may not even know there are other levels of giftedness because for the most part her child's needs are being met or almost met so no need to research, read a book or skip.

I was so angry last year that Ami couldn’t go to public school because she wasn’t old enough and the costly alternative made me just as mad. Now it makes no difference to me because I know it would be silly to send her even if they let her skip K to 2.

I am upset that there are not more alternatives like one-room schools or more magnets for highly gifted. And I feel bad that she doesn’t have the opportunity to meet area children like herself in a school setting and that I have to work so hard. On the other hand home education does have its rewards; she gets to pursue her passions.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I forgot to say I wish Z success and happiness!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

This should have said, "On the other hand home education does have its rewards; children get to pursue their passions."

Sorry, I took so much space!

Forte said...

I agree with Mamita. There are not enough alternatives. I was talking to a British friend though, and she says that "skipping" is simply unheard of there. I guess other places aren't progressive either? I guess I am just wondering what in the world is wrong with letting a kid go their own pace at something or interacting with kids that are - GASP!- another age...
Mamita,
It WOULD be silly to put Ami in, but we've already talked about that...numerous times;)
Forte

Anonymous said...

Rant on! As we were pursuing just a single-grade skip (one measly grade!) at Violet's school we heard over and over again, "We want to let her be six." We learned to respond, "We want to let her be Violet!" The thing is, schools often set the bar so high for a grade skip that the kids they allow to go up one grade really need to be going up about 3 grades. I know V. responded pretty badly after she figured out that 2nd grade was not going to be a major improvement over 1st grade.

But that's my rant. I'm sure you will continue to face criticism for letting Z. "work." I hope you'll make contact with families in similar situations so you can remind each other that you are just letting your kids be kids -- the kids they really are!

Cher Mere said...

Hey Mamita!

Thanks for the support.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»