Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The voice lesson

Z had her first voice lesson with the new teacher today.

I am happy with the teacher, I felt comfortable with her and I liked how she interacted with Z.

First she checked Z's vocal range and told me that Z has great intonation, which means that she can match her voice to the tones she hears.

Then they worked on warm-ups and the teacher was impressed and said that Z sang more like her eight year olds. I was happy but I was already told last year by a different voice teacher that Z sang like her 8 and 9 year old students. So I was wondering if Z's voice hasn't gotten any better in a year.

But I think our old teacher mainly taught summer camp kids and this teacher teaches kids enter vocal competitions. So last year Z was like a regular 8/9 year old and this year she is like an 8 year old who sings very well. *wry grin*

The teacher got excited about Z and said she would like to enter her into the next competition. It is in November. I asked Z about it and she asked if it would be like a Spelling Bee. I said "Yeah, but instead of spelling words you sing." *heh* She said she _really_ wanted to do it.

Our homework for this week is to teach Z how to breathe. Yeah, I know. How did she last this long without breathing??

No comments: