Tuesday, June 27, 2006

so what else is going on?

Z has been writing a story in her journal. So far is mostly all dialogue. I kind of want to post it on here but I think I should get Z's permission first.

Yesterday she got a gift certificate from the lady in our neighborhood whose mail we have been bring her for the last three weeks. It was $15 to Barnes and Noble. It was very unexpected, since we were just doing our "good deed." Z spent five of it on the book A Great Good Things, a fantasy novel about a princess in a book that interacts with the "Reader."

Our Operation Gratitude or Good Deeds has been going well. Z is still finding ways to help her parents and "the world" including picking up litter in the parking lot at the grocery market.

Z also had a really excellent piano lesson today. *whew* Everything really came together.

I got the name of a local voice teacher from our piano teacher and now we have a meeting and perhaps a lesson scheduled with her tomorrow. Z used to have a voice teacher back in our old neighborhood. She was a great gal but Z kind of ran the class which isn't good for her. She needs someone more firm, like our piano teacher. I hope the lady we meet tomorrow works out.

I actually didn't ask Z about it before making the meeting. When I told her about it she said "But won't that take away more of my free time?"

Uh oh, I hadn't thought she would react like that. So I said "Well you don't have to do it. But the teacher's students take part in vocal competitions and get to do performances all the time."

She says "Oh! I want to do that!"

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yes!" she says

In any case you only sign up one month at a time so it is not a huge commitment if Z gets tired of it.


This morning I saw that the neighborhood kids were all out playing by the tennis courts so Z and I went out and she played soccer with them for awhile. Interestingly, even though the three girl's her age were there Z ended up playing with some older boys. She was fiercely competitive. I had to tell her to back off with a younger boy. I think the problem is that she is used to playing against grown ups where she has to try really hard. Or maybe she is just naturally competitive in sports like her mommy. (I can't wait till she can start kendo.)

Soon we should start our study of France and French. I was gathering some resources for that today.

With her regular schedule of homeschooling (math, writing, reading, piano, Japanese, and a France study) as well as piano, Japanese and possibly voice lessons, a 3 week summer camp for gifted kids, the homeschooling groups ice skating and beach days, movie days with the gifted kids playgroup and play dates with other friends... well it looks like we are going to have an active summer.

No comments: