Friday, June 09, 2006

Talent Show

We just got back from Z;s talent show, at 9:45 at night, and we had a wonderful time! My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. :)

First I have to say that I think Z did a very good job. I will criticize a little and say that she didn't do the movements/choreography that she had practiced, that some parts are really high, and a couple notes were flat.

But really I am just overjoyed! The point of this talent show was that it was going to be Z's thing. She chose her songs and how she wanted to dress etc. I just wanted her to have a good time and feel good about her performance.

We had a little trouble this morning where she thought the song she has been practicing all week, Grow for Me from Little Shop of Horrors, was too complicated and she wanted to have an easier "back-up" song. Her back-up song is the one she is going to be singing Sunday to her piano teacher's accompaniment, Mozart's Lullaby. I felt she was just having stage fright and I encouraged her to do her original song.

When we got to the talent show I talked to the people in charge and asked if Z could do two songs and they said "Yes." So to build up her confidence I asked her if she wanted to do the easier song first and then her original, but more complicated song, second. She did.

Z was the first and the third to sing. After the first song was met with resounding applause (really, it was resounding) she was ready to go up again. I was so proud of her performance. She was so cute! (Okay I am more than a tiny bit biased, I admit it) *goofy grin*

But see for yourself. Here

I just loved tonight. The other kids were so great. I really admire the sheer nerve it takes to get up before everyone and perform. We saw a teenage boy rock band, two brothers who played the violin and told jokes, sisters who played piano duets, a cute little red haired girl who danced a Scottish Highland Jig, an flute player, some more singers, someone read their own poetry, another did a monologue, one girl even sang opera and had two friends back her up with interpretive dance. But my favorites (beside Z, of course) were these amazing young asian boys (if I had to guess I would say 7, 10, and 12) who were piano prodigies. First the smallest one got up and of course he totally amazed with some fast-paced classical piece. Then the oldest boy got up and did The Entertainer. But the middle boy, *eeeee! so cute* got up and played a Blues song and it really seemed like he was feeling it. Then he played another, a Ragtime song, and asked everyone to clap along. Wow! That kid was just awesome. I wanted to bring him home with me.

Anyway, these kids did homeschooling proud.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for Z! It takes such courage to perform in front of others.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased it went well. I know you had your doubts about what she was going to sing, but it all turned out okay and that is great! Z is lucky to have such great, fun experiences :-)

Cher Mere said...

Were you guys able to see the performance? I was wondering if the download took to long...

-Cher Mere