Monday, June 19, 2006

In Z's world.

Today on the way home from seeing Nacho Libre Z bemoaned "We only did two special things today."

*grrrr*

We have always had a hard time with Z and getting an adequate amount of gratitude from her.

Recently, maybe when she started doing the How to be a Princesss in Seven Days routine or before she has been asking every morning "Are we doing anything special today?"

That question on it's own is not a problem. It is kind of sweet and I imagine she likes having something to look forward to every day. For awhile the special thing was something to do with her Princess training but might also include a pool party. Since then we have had a recital or play date or park day or birthday party or something to do pretty much everyday. It seems like every day we had something special to do.

But when she starts complaining about only have two special things, which by the way were going ice skating with her friends and seeing a movie, it makes my blood boil.


Gratitude has been a concern of mine regarding her for a couple years now. When she was there Pere even made up a prayer that we have said every night since then where we thank God for the basic things in our life, like shelter and food, as well as coming up with new things each night. It is kind of like a verbal gratitude journal.

I have also used bibliotherapy to teach her to be grateful. We are reading Heidi right now who should be a great role-model.

It is not like Z is a terrible Veruca Salt type spoiled brat. For one thing Pere and I do not respond to demands. Z has nice manners and often shows her gratitude with smiles and excitement.

I just think that her world view is skewed. In Z's world something new and interesting is happening all the time. In Z's world life is fun, even "school" is fun. In Z's world everyone loves her and even strangers are kind, and likely to give her a free balloon or lollypop. In Z's world if she falls down on the ice skating rink about 15 of her friends race over to comfort her and little children she just meets hug her and give her cupcakes.

In Z's world her ever loving parents are the closest thing she knows of meaness because sometimes they scold her and they often *gasp* say "No."

I can imagine that it is easy to get caught up in a world where everything is so so special, that suddenly only going ice skating and seeing a movie in a day doesn't seem like much.

So I've got to come up with yet another way to get her to understand that she really isn't a princess. She has chores to do and school work and she needs to do them with a good attitude. And when we do something special she needs to say "Thank you."

I am working on my plan and I think it has something to do with having her be useful to her family without having to be asked and doing a "good deed" for someone else. I would like to take her focus away from what she _wants_ to what she _ought_ to do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand what you are saying about gratitude, but on the other hand I think every little girl should feel like she is a princess. I love that Z is getting such a special childhood, and that she thinks everything and everyone is wonderful. By the time she learns all the darkness and meanness in the world, she will have grown into a strong and confident young woman who knows for sure that she is loveable, because she has been so loved. She will be brilliantly equipped to handle that darkness and even shine her light into it. She will have no inner conflict because she has been protected all through her childhood so she's been able to focus fully on her proper physical and psychological development. Its the children who have to deal with conflict, deprivation, pressure, growing up too soon, etc, who have problems when they are older, because their natural development was hijacked by those stronger negative forces. For example, my parents divorced (and my father left the country) when I was at the age children develop their sense of distance and speed. I never developed that sense, and even today it causes me problems.

You talked about bibliotherapy, and I think that is a great thing to do, I use it myself. What about the archetypal princesses? Snow White, for example. Or even Princess Diana, for that matter. The ones who were beautiful and wonderful, and had a fantastically special life, and because of that they gave back to the world. Maybe Z would be inspired by their example. I know its the opposite of stories like Heidi though. But I myself like the idea of the beautiful, smart princess with the enchanted life who appreciates it so much she wants to help others, make them feel special too. That to me is the true heart of a princess, far more than pretty clothes and jewels and fashionable etiquette. A true princess is apparent even when rain-drenched and covered in mud (a la Princess and the Pea - although I've always thought a proper princess would be far too polite to mention her nocturnal discomfort to her hostess!)

I hope you don't mind me saying all this on your blog! I forget this is not a phorum!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of wonderful princesses, have you guys read The Paper Bag Princess? It is a picture book we got years ago, but a great story about a smart, clever, independent princess.

And speaking of daughters, I have a tough time with this one too. I have read that younger children, like less than nine, should really have an opporutnity to experience total innocence and freedom from care, in order to develop the inner strength required to mature.

But I often cringe at my daughter's seeming lack of symapthy for others and her readiness to pout because a day full of special things didn't have just one more treat.

So I guess I have no helpful input, just an extended I hear ya'!

Cher Mere said...

Hey Sarah

Don't worry I really appreciate the comments.

I hear you that it is good for Z to have so much love in her life. I am hoping that my new gratitude project will remind her to give back.

It is my fault really. We have gone through many cycles where we are more charitable and do-good'ers.

Cher Mere said...

Shaun

Could you share where you read that about the innocence? It sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

Cher, one of my favourite sayings is "practice random, mindless kindness and committ senseless acts of beauty."

I like your plan!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if every child could be so loved.

I know... My daughter said to me tonight don't give me the 11 children story when I said she couldn't have something. I was one of 11.

Has she read The Ordinary Princess?