Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Pool Party Success


Today I hosted a pool party for Z's homeschool friends - we had six families with thirteen kids.

It was nice to see Z playing and getting along with nice children of all ages, boy and girls. This is one of my favorite parts of homeschooling.

The older kids are so nice to Z. They always invite her to join their games and help her to keep up with them. There are a couple older kids in our groups that really set the tone for the rest of the kids, they are very patient and kind with the younger ones. I really appreciate them.

I love that Z is comfortable interacting with people of all ages and both sexes. Right now she is the youngest who joins in the games. I am sure that effects her in some way. But in a couple years some of the kids who are now 3 and 4 will start joining the games and Z will be an older girl.

It is also in these groups of older girls that Z can be "herself" intellectually and play involved imagination games with the older girls. They pretend to be mermaids with a complicated monetary system of shells and seaweeds, they play that they are "Settlers" and forlorn children who live in "Poor Town."

She also gets to play those common childhood games that we all grew up with, hide-and-seek, freeze tag, lava monster and Marco Polo with this group of kids who are ages five (z) to thirte

Obviously Z and I had a good time at our pool party today.

Tomorrow I am hosting a Princess Party too. I will write what that is all about tomorrow.

Ciao

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy your pool! Looks very fun. I think we're heading to a city wading pool with my younger daughter's preschool class next week -- here in MN there's not much sense in building private pools for such a short season!
I pasted in a link to the Carnival info. I hope you will submit something. I have only done it twice, but it is fun to get new visitors to your blog.

http://whyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2005/12/where-to-send-your-submission-for-next.html

Cher Mere said...

Thanks

I'll check it out.

It is very hot here in the summer and the pool is really a refresher.