Tuesday, June 06, 2006

piano epiphany

Today I had an epiphany regarding the stress I am feeling over Z’s piano lessons.

Z’s recital is this Sunday and she has not only been practicing her recitals songs 5 – 10 or even more times a day but has extra recital practice lessons four Saturdays in a row.

I remember that not long after Z started taking piano lessons her teacher said that she could be playing like the little Asian boy we saw at the recital who just blew me away, IF we made her practice for an hour a day.

I chuckled when she said that and I said that I definitely didn’t want Z to practice that much.

But here we are, less than a year later and Z is often practicing an hour a day.

Today Z was playing her recital piece for her teacher, a pretty hard children’s version of Ode to Joy, and I felt like the teacher should have been impressed that Z could play it at all. But there was just more to perfect. “This part need to be more legato, that part needed to be more forte, this part needs to be a march and remember than in 4/4 time the emphasis needs to be on the 1st note and the 3rd.”

I started to feel bad. Z has been working so hard on her pieces for the recital and so have I. I sit there with her and listen to every song and remind her what she needs to work on. I try to motivate Z, which I think, at her age is necessary.

My whole life I always hated to disappoint anyone. That is a problem I know. I don’t always have the energy to come across “perfectly” and sometimes I have too much energy and that doesn’t work out either.

Today at Z’s piano lesson I felt like Z disappointed her teacher and it hurt. Not with the songs, I think we both know that what Z is doing is pretty remarkable. But the attention and focus she wants from Z is probably too much. I am not sure where the teacher is coming from. Perhaps she has a lot invested in Z and really wants Z to keep up this fast progression. Or maybe this is how she is with all the kids , always asking for more (actually I wouldn’t feel so bad about that). Maybe that is her method and my problem is that I never want Z to disappoint her.

But, like I said, today I had an epiphany. I decided that I am not going to let it bother me. Z will practice for her alloted time and then whatever she produces is what she produces. If she is not the prodigy that her teacher is looking or (if that is even the case, I am not sure) then “Oh Well". I really don’t care. For me it had never been about Z being a prodigy. I would just stress if Z didn’t meet her teacher’s expectations. But that is not good for Z. And I still trust that her teacher doesn’t want that either.

10 comments:

Bryan said...

I struggle with my DD and the violin. She has the potential, but she's also just a little kid. Hard for me to remember when she thinks like an adult so many times. Do you think that the teacher is pushing for a prodigy? If Z. weren't so blessed in other gifts, things would be different. But practicing for an hour every day is rough on a little one.

My goal for DD & the violin is not for her to be on the concert tour at 15, but for her to love music all of her life. Not that I don't forget that from time to time. . .

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Especially with these little kids, the potential seems so huge and it's so easy to get excited and just try to press a little bit harder and -- whoops! Pushed too hard again. The thing I have tried at my house is to allow more noodling at the piano. Was a time that I would hear DD goofing around on the piano and take that as the opportunity to pounce and practice for lessons. Now I try to let the improvisation go on as long as she wants -- or until it stops sounding musical and it just gets annoying! :) Of course it's easier to do that now that her improvisation is reasonably pleasant to listen to.
I too think of those touring prodigies that come through our town and play with our orchestra and try to picture my DD -- and then I stop!

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Especially with these little kids, the potential seems so huge and it's so easy to get excited and just try to press a little bit harder and -- whoops! Pushed too hard again. The thing I have tried at my house is to allow more noodling at the piano. Was a time that I would hear DD goofing around on the piano and take that as the opportunity to pounce and practice for lessons. Now I try to let the improvisation go on as long as she wants -- or until it stops sounding musical and it just gets annoying! :) Of course it's easier to do that now that her improvisation is reasonably pleasant to listen to.
I too think of those touring prodigies that come through our town and play with our orchestra and try to picture my DD -- and then I stop!

Cher Mere said...

Carson

Yeah. I don't know for sure if the teacher is envisioning Z as a prodigy - though I was told by another parent with an older very accomplished daughter that Z was on a "prodigy track".

I really don't have the nerve to actually ask the teacher"Is Z some sort of prodigy?" *heh*

What I really want is for her to be proficient enough to compose her own songs. I also want her to be able to play and to enjoy playing. That is is really.

Hanley Family said...

wow...thanks for your thoughts on this. I doubt my duaghter will ever be anywhere anyone will call a prodigy, but your thoughts help keep one focused on what is really important. We just purchased a piano and are setting up our routine around it...just plain play time part of the day, and, for the moment, 15 minutes of actual practice.

A great deal of the difficulty for us will be in the fact that none of us know how to play. My daughter and I shall be learning together with her little book, and her grandma will be helping her a bit when we visit. If she maintains interest, we might consider a tutor "down the road." She's seven now, so all her chances of being said prodigy will have been blown by her first lesson.

She did learn the beginning of "Amazing Grace" in two minutes at the piano store, however...hmmm...

Anonymous said...

I think you are being very honest with yourself by asking if this teacher has too much of her own success vested in your child.

Elf Owl

Cher Mere said...

Shaun

I am getting back to you late on this.

I much prefer when Z wants to spend time compsing rather than practicing someone else's music. It is vital to me that we don't quash that.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Dana!

I don't think your daughter's chances of being a great player are in jeopardy.

I have met more than one person who didn't start until their teens and could have gone on to play professionally. :)

I am not sure what I think about prodigies anyway.

Cher Mere said...

Elf Owl

*nod*

Bryan said...

I remembered my comment as sounding a bit snotty. . .I hope it didn't read that way. (It doesn't now.) The real danger with my DD & the violin is that my husband was a performance major in college. His instrument was the violin. He taught orchestra for several years. There may be more than a skoshe of him wanting for DD what he didn't choose (either consciously or not) for himself. So I end up playing a balancing game.

Violin this week has shifted to the back burner. (Obviously.) We're working on more basic lessons right now.