Thursday, August 03, 2006

Duran Duran and Music Videos

Tonight I introduced Z to the concept of a music video via Duran Duran.

When I was young I _loved_ Duran Duran, full blown crazy love. I had all their tapes, my bedroom was plastered with their posters, I colelcted every teen mag with them in it and I hated Madonna for knocking Reflex off of the number one spot on America's Top 40 countdown. I even had a VHS of all of their videos including rare ones like Girls on Filrm, Night Boat, and The Chauffer.

Pere, God love him, is also a big fan of Duran Duran. On a recent trip to the desert we were listening to Rio and Seven and the Ragged Tiger in the car and I told him about this video I had. We decided to look for it on Netflix when we got home.

Well it arrived today and tonight after dinner Z and I (and a couple times Pere) danced to the New Wave groove of Duran Duran Greatest Hits Volume One.

About at Wild Boys I realized that these are the first music videos Z has ever seen. I explained to her that there are whole channels devoted (hardly these days) to playing music videos. I told her some are mostly just singing like Reflex and some are "concept" videos like Hungry like the Wolf or Wild Boys and they tell a story.

I think she would enjoy watching more music videos but everything is too mature on MTV and even VH1. Maybe I will have to keep renting complilations from Netflix.

Perhaps because I basically grew up on MTV but I always make up my own music videos, only in my head of course, of music that I listen to. I guess I am much more of the writer director type. Some of you know that I think Z might be a songwriter/singer when she grows up - so I am curious to see how she continues to respond to music videos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I too loved Duran Duran when I was a teenager! Infact I often look back with warm nostalgia on the great music of the 70s and 80s and think these days the pop/rock music is generally nowhere near so good - although thank god we have people like Natalie Merchant and Maria McKee. I especially deplore rap and hip-hop.

Good luck with introducing Z to quality pop music. My kid hates it all, only listens to classical music or Enya and Cocteau Twins. On one hand I'm glad she shows no interest in the Kelly Clarkson rubbish, but on the other hand I wish I could listen to my classic rock radio station more often! She even frowns disapprovingly when I put Pink Floyd on the stereo, and in my opinion all children should be educated in a true appreciation of the Pink Floyd genius! ;-)