Monday, April 17, 2006

What we are reading

We have almost finished The Princess and the Goblin by George McDonald. This book is on my list of classic children's books that I want Z to read. I have to say that much of the vocabulary was beyond her (example "The information... might have been of considerable import at the present moment, but for that other design already referred to, which naturally takes precedence. His Majesty, unwilling to proceed to extremities and well aware that such measures sooner or later result in violent reactions, has excogitated a more fundamental and comprehensive measure, of which I need say no more." It amazes me to think that children in 1872 could read this. Good for them! This book was supposed to be a favorite of J.R. R. Tolkien as well an an inspiration. I can see why. It is a lovely story, very clever, with noble child protagonists. You can read it for yourself for free.

We are also taking turns reading from the Andrew Lang Blue Fairy book Blue Fairy Book. I love these old versions of fairy tales - they are much more violent and horrifying. *evl grin*

Since it is Passover week are have been reading from the many Jewish books I have collected. Yesterday I had Z narrate the story of Passover to me and I think she has a pretty good idea of the chronology of the events.

For history this year we are studying the myths of ancient cultures (as well as other culture aspects of the times) and now we are studying the time of the ancient Hebrews so I am reading a Jewish Children's Bible to her. She asks a lot of questions about what is really "true" and what is just a story. She has already studied things like evolution and the Big Bang which conflict with the stories in the Torah. We stick with the facts as we know them but say that the stories in the Torah are important because they put forth questions and answers that speak to our spiritual side.

For silent reading Z is still reading through the Kit - American Girl books. (btw this Saturday the American Girl Place opens up in the Grove.)

No comments: