Friday, April 21, 2006

"old friends"




This morning after we finished math and writing we drove back to our old neighborhood to visit with some old friends. Mr. V and Linda have kids my age and grandchildren almost Z's age. Linda worked for me when I owned the bookstore and Mr. V was loyal customer and good friend who brought us coffee every Wednesday. When I sold the store we decided that it didn't have to be the end of our friendship and started meeting for coffee at a local doughnut shop. When I moved, a few months later, I told them Z and I could only come every other week.

These coffee mornings are important to all four of us. Mr. V has someone with whom to share the stories of his long and interesting life (he was in the military and served overseas) , Linda gets to share stories of her children, the youngest is still in high school, I get to ask their advice about parenting and other issues and Z gets two more people to dote on her. I also think it is good for Z to experience this multi-generational friendship.

No comments: