Monday, April 24, 2006

Our arthropod collection




After lunch we went on a nature walk about our apartment complex. We found the earwig under some leaves and then only worms. Then, by the pool, I turned over a huge rock and we hit the jackpot, there were dozens more earwings, millipedes, and pill bugs. We got a big and little milliepede, one pill bug and a teeny tiny itsy bitsy red spider.

We checked out the arthropods for a long time in our bug catcher, which has a built in magnifying glass. We were able to look underneath them and see millipedes legs really well.

Then we decided to catch the spider that lives in the hallway and see if we could see it eat the other bugs. I have pretty bad arachnophobia and it was freaking me out but the spider really helped me - he jumped right into my net and then scoooted himself right into the insect jar. We brought him into the house and watched him for awhile. I was feeling very uneasy. We got out our field guide and tried to find the kind of spider it was, but we couldn't find it. Finally I had to put the jar out on the patio because I couldn't realx with the spider in the house. (I know there are probably spiders all over the house, but I can't see them:))

No comments: