Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Heidi



I wasn't sure what I was going to write about today.

Homeschooling went well. Z is still greatly enjoying her math book. She worked on paragraphs in an old early 1960's Language Arts book I found at the used bookstore. We read a couple chapters in Holling C.Holling's Pagoo and then Z colored two pictures of hermit crabs and other tidepool creatures in a Dover Seashore coloring book. Then she read some American Girl before meeting a sweet little girl friend and her younger brother for a 2 1/2 hour play date at the park.

After the park we had a good Japanese lesson. We got home in time for Z to work in her music theory book and practice piano wheile I made dinner. Then we watched the best, so far, episode of Blue Planet - The Deep. Wow. I mean, wow! There are some funky things down there in the deep ocean.

But the best moment of our homeschooling day, because homeschooling never really stops, was during Z's bedtime story. Tonight I finished the last of the first chapter and the entire second chapter of Heidi. The first chapter was pretty slow, mainly setting up how "mean" Alm Uncle is. But the second chapter had Z squealing with delight, drumming her little feet against the bed, overcome with happiness and excitment.

She said " Oh! Oh! Oh! I love it! I can't... I can't even say how much I love it!" This was because Z was starting to get an inkling that maybe Alm Uncle wasn't so bad and because Heidi set the table all by herself. Z is totally identifying with Heidi.

The second best part of the day was when Z was saying her prayers and thanked G-d that we weren't living during the Great Depression. She also thanked G-d for the Big Bang and for creating all the creatures in the sea, especially the ones that taste good, so we can eat them. LOL

2 comments:

Sucero Family said...

LOL! What a character. I was just looking at pictures of deep sea creatures, they are a trip. I can't wait until HS is ready for chapter books. OOOHHH I can't wait. We have some good reading ahead of us! (and behind us for that matter, but I can be done with The Very HC for awhile)

Anonymous said...

This is Truly an amazing child, I saw her recently,and she was discussing the Revolutionary War with her Dad, At 5 yrs.Of age!!How many High School pupils even Know of that WAR?? G & G