Sunday, September 02, 2007

Teaching Meme

I got this idea from Patience at Homespun.

I am a good teacher because ... I really value knowledge. I love to learn myself. I care that my child is emotionally safe and I believe that to really learn she should be excited by and engaged with what we are doing.

If I weren't a teacher I would be ... A writer or a trainer. I wrote professionally before having Z. I love doing the research that comes with writing on a new subject. I also used to train adults when I was an efficiency manager. I enjoy developing training materials and helping people figure out how to make it work for them.


My teaching style is ... academic and old fashioned in someways. I read all six of the original Charlotte Mason volumes when I just started learning about homeschooling (Z was two) and her old-fashioned yet highly sensible approach really appealed to me. On one hand it was quiant, with the handicrafts and daily exercises, but what she said about parenting and the nature of educating and learning really spoke to me. (At this time I also read Maria Montessori's books, and John Gatto. I checked out teacher's textbooks from the library and read Vygotsy, Dewey, Skinner, Gardener, Piget, Erickon, etc.)

I learned a lot and developed a style that is based partly on what I learned from my readings and partly from what I learned just by teaching Z.

My classroom is ... the dining table, the couch, the car. I keep things organized, I am more comfortable that way.

My lesson plans are ... also organized. I want Z to have a lot of free time in the afternoons to expore things on her own and follow her own passions. To give her all that time we need to be efficient about our lessons in the morning. I have definite ideas regarding what (and how) I want her to learn in every subject. Since I really believe she learns best when she is excited and engaged I search far and wide for just the right resources for each subject and then I present them in the order that I have learned will draw her in.

We certainly go "off track" sometimes but I don't sweat it. She is far enough ahead and those days are a nice change of pace.

One of my teaching goals ... is for Z is enjoy her education. I want her to be excited to do her lessons. I would say I have two "foundational" goals. One is the "plan" of what I want her to learn and the other is that she likes what she is doing.

The toughest part of teaching is ... trying to be in good temperment all the time. Day after day after day everything goes swimmingly. Z and I get along very well. But some times our stars get crossed and things are difficult.

The thing I love about teaching is ... being with Z. And the planning. *wink*

A common misconception about teaching is ... that only teachers can do it. I think any reasonably intelligent person who is also mentally sound can educate their child. The way I do it takes energy and patience and creativity and consistency. But there are lots of way of doing it.

The most important thing I've learned since starting teaching is ... that there are a lot of important things to do doing school hours that aren't "lessons." We like to get together with friends, go to LEGOland or the Zoo, have lunch with grandma, go on walks, etc.

4 comments:

C's Learning Treasures said...

I enjoyed reading that,I know what you mean about it being difficult to always be in the right temperament;-)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I also enjoyed reading your philosophy and approach.

sarah said...

Thank you for doing that, it was really interesting and inspiring to read your responses.

Shari said...

That is good reading. Thank you for sharing.