Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Living Math

Today I would like to share what I think is one of the best resources for math on the net livingmath.net

I found myself on this site again today after Z and I reread four of her old math themed picture books

One Grain of Rice by Demi



The Big Buck Math Book



Millions to Measure



On Beyond A Million


Z has had all these books for several years and already learned their concepts. But we like to revisit her favorite picture books.

She really loves learning about math by reading about it. She or I make up word problems as we go along when we are inspired by ideas in the books. For example, she mulitplied 250 million by 500 million to find out something about people eating popcorn in America... (I forget what the problem was exactly.)

Also, when she was younger, her most favorite Math books were from the Time Life Series "I Love Math"

Anyway Livingmath.net has many great lists of math books by concept and grade level as well as inspirational articles and even their own math/history lesson plans.

I was searching there today because Z loves learning math this way so much that I am rethinking my idea to use EPGY. EPGY was great but also expensive. It would be more work for me but I know I could put something really great together using the living math approach that Z loves so well.

4 comments:

C's Learning Treasures said...

That is a great site! A couple of those books look familiar;-) It looks like you and Z are having fun with math!

Garden State Kate said...

I will be very interested in what you put together, math is my weakness,
and the area my DH worries about P learning.;-)

Gwenivere said...

What a great site! I'm so glad you posted about it.

L said...

Thank you for all the resources. We are always on look out for good math books. I will have to check out the web page you recommended.